Monday, December 22, 2008

Relaxing in a winter wonderland...

Oh man what a lovely snow filled weekend. As I mentioned on Friday I headed off to Big Bear with Matt, my best friend Megan, her bf, and two other friends for a nice snowy weekend getaway. It was quite the adventure and reminded me just how much I love being in the mountains, even if I detest the whole 'getting there' part....anyhoo a recap is in order, so here we go:

Friday: Headed home after work in a frenzy to finish packing up (can't forget my boots! haha) everything and make a quick dinner (seriously grilled cheese on a cold night is superb). Megan finally headed over to pick Matt and I up where we went to her bf's place to pack up his car and get on the road. So officially we didn't actually start driving until about 9, which was okay, just dark and a bit scary. Scary why you ask? Well I may not have a problem with sky diving but when it comes to driving up curvy mountainous terrains, yeah I don't do so hot. It especially didn't help that once we were driving up the mountain and chains were on, we hit some black ice and did a 180. I'm pretty sure I didn't breathe for a good two minutes afterwards. Luckily we were all okay and all cars around us stopped. We only had one or two other swerving incidents later on that left me gasping (oooor screaming) but we were good. Thank goodness we were in a Tahoe, haha. Anyhoo, we finally got to our place around midnight but by then we were too hyped up on adrenaline to sleep so we stayed up drinking wine, laughing, enjoying a fireplace with a switch, singing Mariah Carey Christmas songs, watching movies and all around having a good time....until about 4:30, haha:

I was in love with this fireplace, switch and all, haha


Matt, JR and Megan hanging in the kitchen


the boys singing Mariah Carey, haha good times


reenacting their "natural states", haha


Saturday: Got to sleep in a bit before we headed off to Bear Mountain so Megan, JR, and our other two friends could snowboard and ski. Matt and I just hung around the resort all day since I didn't want to ski or snowboard and Matt couldn't due to previous injuries and the fact that he lost one of his contacts Friday night, which probably wouldn't have made any sport easier, haha. Anyhoo, the weather was actually really nice (a la 40s) and sunny all day, perfect for playing in the snow and hanging out:

checking out the slopes


Megan and JR taking a break from snowboarding


Matt and I all bundled up


a simply gorgeous day at the slopes


After a day at the Bear Mountain we all headed back to our place to nap, eat, watch movies, drink more wine and have another fantabulously relaxing evening.

Sunday: Slept in yet again, which was lovely and enjoyed the scenery a bit before heading out.

anyone up for some basketball? haha


Matt and I enjoying the scenery a bit


so gorgeous


Once we were finally on the road we decided to have some lunch at a sports bar then head on over for some sledding type stuff at the Alpine Pass, haha. Afterwards we finally hit the road and saw some amazing sights to lead us home...







A couple hours later we finally made it home where all Matt and I wanted to do was sleep, relax and that's exactly what we did. I gotta say, I still love the snow, even if driving in it scares me beyond anything else, haha.

And how was your weekend? Are you ready for Christmas??




happy monday!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

Holy crap that sounds relaxing. Wow. I'd give anything for a fireplace right about now.

B said...

those mountain photos are freakin' gorgeous

CIP said...

Looks beautiful! You are Matt are adorable<3

robin ann mcintosh said...

so cute :) I have never been to Big Bear, now I reallllly want to go!

thatShortchick said...

sounds like it was an amazing weekend! i've heard nothing but good things about big bear.

Mandy said...

Those pictures are stunning. Driving in the snow scares the bejesus out of me as well. Glad that you had such a great weekend!

megabrooke said...

sounds like a great weekend! it's gorgeous there.

Andréa said...

Gotta love some mountains and Snow! Not to mention the "flip-a-fire" We had one of htose when we lived up in CO. LOVED it!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Looks like a stellar weekend :)

I'm so jealous, haha. I was stuck at home, trying to dig my car out of the snow each time I needed to leave the house.

ox

sarah marie p said...

Love the photos at the end! So beautiful!

SO glad you made it out of the 180 black ice OK! SCARY!

Tipp said...

You should get a video of that Mariah Carey Karaoke!

amanda said...

Looks fabulous! Snow
seriously makes everything
just a wee bit more awesome,
huh?

Your pictures are gorg!

brandyismagic said...

Geez. You did all that and I sorted my laundry.

You win!!

Seriously though, absolutely stunning photos, you and Matt always look so darn cute!

(Also? I like any people who sing to Mariah Carey. It's just too much fun not to!)

Bayjb said...

Wow that looks like it was a ton of fun. Great photos, especially of the sunset, amazing!

Auburn Kat said...

It is pretty there.

BTW, you can keep the snow!

d said...

gorgeous pics missy!

Vanessa said...

Can I just say how envious I am that you went snowboarding at Tahoe? I used to live there and 'board Mt Rose almost every day. I seriously miss it!