Katelin asked us to make lists of a Top 5 around the theme of love. And since I've been with my lovely boyfriend, Andrew, for three years now, I thought I'd share some of the things I love about love itself. So, here they are, my Top 5 Favorite Things About Love.
- NOT DATING. Sometimes, I watch people on first dates or hear terrible stories, and I just think, HELL YES. I don't have to suffer through awkward conversations, weird dudes, or that nutty "getting to know you" phase. I know Andrew better than he knows himself, and I'm not subjected to constant awkwardness on behalf of the opposite sex. WIN!
- Sweatpants. When Andrew and I were first dating, I felt the need to look pretty all the time. Now? I get home to our shared apartment, change out of my clothes and into my after-hours uniform of sweats and one of his t-shirts. I'm a lot more comfortable and since he already loves me? We're good to go.
- Inside jokes/secret language. Nearly everyone I know who's in a relationship has a particular set of phrases/nicknames/words that might seem incomprehensible to others, but serve as a dialect within the relationship. Andrew and I can have a complete conversation without anyone else really catching on. Plus, I have a few nicknames that totally embarrass him, too. Always handy.
- Presents! Not just getting them (I mean, that's obviously awesome) but having someone to do little things for. I like schmoop. I like surprising him with little gifts. I enjoy having someone to spoil with a nice meal or a little gift. And getting them in return ain't bad either.
- Companionship. I think that for me, nothing tops knowing all the time that someone's on my team. I have a built in date, someone to listen to me 24/7, and a partner to laugh with. And living together is like a sleepover every night, with my favorite person. It's pretty amazing.