Monday, January 19, 2009

We're all dreamers.




I know I posted this excerpt last year, but it is my favorite part of his speech and it's worth sharing again:

I say to you today, my friends, so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream. I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal."
(excerpt from the I Have A Dream speech, August 28, 1963)
  • Martin Luther King, Jr. (January 15, 1929 - April 4, 1968)



happy monday!

15 comments:

Ashley D said...

It's such a great quote, isn't it?

Unknown said...

what a great quote - the whole speech is amazing.

by the way cnn will be airing the entire speech in its entirety today at noon...which may be 9am on the west coast...not sure....

happy monday to you!

amanda said...

Hollla to the speech!

Happy Monday,
dear blogging friend!

Lauren said...

I love it.

sarah marie p said...

Thanks so much for sharing this.

rachel elizabeth said...

i'm so, so, SO freaking proud to be an american today, tomorrow... in general. :)

B said...

That speech ALWAYS gives me chills. I love it.

Katie said...

Happy MLK Day everyone!

molly said...

that speech always makes me cry. what a remarkable man..

Dana said...

I did a whole lesson on Friday about MLK... he was such an amazing man!! and what a remarkable speech!!

Anonymous said...

I love that part of the speech as well. He had such power to unite people. It's amazing to know what tomorrow means!

Auburn Kat said...

That really is an incredible speech!

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

Sometimes when I feel reflective, I go back and read some of the great speeches from earlier generations. MLK, Abe Lincoln, JFK, etc.

I'm hoping Obama can make the kind of speech that people remember 30, 40, 50+ years later. His acceptance speech was good, but I think he can do better.

Anonymous said...

The words of Martin Luther King, Jr. still inspire me, and amaze me, every time I read them, see them, and hear them. They're timeless, and what he believed in is timeless. Just, wow.

Jane said...

Beautiful.