Monday, January 14, 2008

Try it if you dare.

When I was in college I had the most random eating habits ever. Freshmen year I was too damn lazy to wait in lines in the dining hall so I primarily lived off of cereal, pizza, pasta and salad (so healthy, I know). By the time senior year came around and I was off the meal plan and cooking for myself and I got pretty creative. And for some odd reason (read as, lack of sleep causes delusion) I've decided to use today's post to share some of the random "recipes" I lived by...don't judge, haha:

#1
1 chopped up green apple
1 can of tuna
balsamic vinaigrette

As crazy as it sounds, mix all of the above. Don't add too much dressing or it could kill it, just guestimate. Once everything is as mixed as you want it, you can do two things. One. But bits of tuna/apple on crackers (I personally love Triscuits) and top with mini slices of cheese (any kind is fine, but I love Colby or cheddar). Pop in microwave for 20 seconds and Bam! Just call me Emeril you're done. And eat away.

Option two. Toss the mix in with some salad and shredded cheese and you've got one tangy meal. It's amazing, I swear.

+

#2
This one is pretty simple and is freaking delicious. Basically just get a bagel, toast it. And apply a thin layer of cream cheese (or a big layer if you're like me, I'm a cream-cheese-aholic, haha) and follow by a thin layer of apple butter (I got my most recent batch at Harry and David's, I think some grocery stores carry it too, it's phenomenal!). Oh. My. Goodness. This is heaven in bagel form.



#3
Okay so this really isn't a recipe but more like a recommendation. Two words. Blueberry Pancakes. They are heaven sent. I seriously can not count the times I made pancakes at midnight instead of studying. I used to make them for my roomies and share when I didn't want to study anymore. You can go the box route (which I usually did, hey it's cheap and I was a poor college student) or make them from scratch or buy plain mix and add some blueberries yourself (I've done that more recently). Just know any way you do it at any hour of the day it'll be amazing. So enjoy!



Well those are the top three foodies I lived off of Senior year and probably haven't had since (with the exception of the pancakes, heaven sent I tell you). However, when I'm living on my own again soon they may just make a comeback, who knows.....

Anyhoo hope you all had fabulous weekends and have an even more fabulous Monday (woot!).

34 comments:

longredcape said...

blueberry ANYTHING = YUM

ANA said...

Bluberry Pancakes - love 'em. and I am gonna try the bagel with cream and apple butter, I hope it tastes as interesting as it sounds....

Anonymous said...

Wow, those look good! You sound like me with food. I experiment and mix all sorts of weird foods together and they come out tasting so yummy!

I'll just call you Emeril. ;-)

Anonymous said...

i loved this post! i am all for "random" experimenting in the kitchen.

and now? i'm starving and want all of these things.

also? i got a kick out of the "yum" picture. i can kind of see you in the kitchen making these things when a random YUM bubble pops up as you do it.

(things like my last comment prove why people don't need to share EVERYTHING that is on their minds.)

Julie Q said...

oooohhh I'll have to try #2 sometime!! I've never even heard of apple butter, sounds delish

K. said...

so this post totally made me hungry. and change my lunch plan. :)

i forgot to tell you this but, i'm totally adding you to my blogroll!

Katie said...

#1 and #2 sound delish. Can you get apple butter in the grocery?

B said...

The apples & tuna w/dressing actually sounds pretty damn tasty.

B2G said...

Harry and David's makes the best stuff EVER. I used to work for them and we'd get free samples of everything. Mmmmmm their pears are AMAZING.

WendyB said...

I like all of these! I LOVE apple butter.

alana said...

Mmmm, blueberry pancakes.....

Anonymous said...

I looooooooooooooove blueberry pancakes

Shelley said...

blueberry... chocolate chip... i love pancakes in general. actually, i'm more of a waffle person but either way, they are tasty!

I'm going to try out that tuna one soon. Thanks!

Therapeutic Ramblings said...

Blueberry pancakes:

1. Bisquick Shake and Pour (Buttermilk)
2. Fresh Blueberries
3. .....
4. Crazy Delicious!

M said...

MMMMM....pancakes.... drool

Shanti said...

dude. we might be reading each others minds. okay, fine just for today. i was thinking about how different i eat now that i'm at home and not living alone. sophomore year of college we ate a lot of CCP. and by CCP I mean Chocolate Chip Pancakes and i don't really like pancakes except for those. oh and we ate tons of quesadillas too. how well balanced. oh well, we needed to fund our alcohol habits.
btw-recipe number one does sound really good. i love mixing odd things.

glamour girly said...

oh, i love blueberry pancakes - actually, any kind of pancakes! I also love apple butter, and I am definitely going to try this combination. Cream cheese + apple butter would also be tasty on a croissant...

now, I am hungry, too, and it is way too late for me to be eat anything if I want to be healthy.

love the yum! bubble, too!

Virginia said...

Mmm those pancakes look so delicious! And your recipes...oh Kate...you are a regular Martha Stewart!

Maxie said...

Yum I totally love apple butter...

Every October in my town there's this huge festival where they make apple butter... right there in front of everyone. it is delicious!

Susie said...

Hehe they actually all sound good. And simple. 11:30 p.m. and you got my hungry!!

Anonymous said...

mmm...i like tuna, so i'll have to try that. and #2? sounds fantastic!!

oh and i have plain pancake mix...aaand fresh blueberries! methinks this calls for a yummy brekky tomorrow!!

Chelsea Talks Smack said...

Actually....doesn't sound bad.

Its buch better than what i sued ot do: rice cakes, with melted cheese, barbeque sauce and turkey.

Yeah.

Kay said...

ohhh i'll have to try it one day =)

nicole antoinette said...

I adore apple butter. And mango butter. And any type of fruit butter. And regular butter. Mmm, butter.

In college I used to mix like every kind of cereal together in the dining hall. Also? I was kind of fat freshman year, but I hear this is standard.. haha

Anonymous said...

I have only just discovered bagels here in England, we don't really have them THAT much at home. Kinda yummy!

As for pancakes, I was craving them the other week so we attempted making them here at home, sort of ended up with a culinary disaster!

And I'm sad about Joshua Jackson's character.... even though we're not even UP to that Season of Grey's yet!

Anonymous said...

Oh man. I remember the blueberry pancakes. I could never turn them down when you were making them. And at like $.50 a box, who can resist?

Jen

Renee said...

That green apple-tuna thing actually sounds pretty good. I'll have to try that... when I get green apples and canned tuna.

As far as the bagel... well, in my opinion, you can put apple butter on ANYTHING and it will be delicious. There's a big Amish community near where I live and they have THE BEST apple butter. THE BEST.

Nanette said...

This all sounds yummy! And I loooove apple butter, especially on abelskievers (not sure about the spelling - basically Danish pancake balls).

Unknown said...

I am so trying the green apple one... sounds distinctly fantastic. (My fave freshman meal was banana bread with strawberry jam and sharp cheddar cheese... yum!)

xox

LBIC said...

Can you believe I don't really like blueberries? I know, I'm nuts.

But that bagel tip sounds delicious, can't wait to try it.

Bogart said...

Going to buy a green apple tonight...thanks for the Tuna tip.

-Bogart

rebecca said...

I was definitely a follower of the "throw random things in salad" movement in college. It's probably the only thing that kept me from eating solely grilled cheese sandwiches and froot loops (not together!)

Thanks for commenting on my blog! I'm about to head over to 20sb to add you up! Woohoo!

Janet said...

all three sound good to me!

In college we made so much tuna fish. We would put all kinds of things in it too, apples, onions, pickles, habanero peppers, lemon, mustard. It was a little out of control.

Lesli said...

These look like some good recipes that I am going to try. Wow! You must really like apples. :)