Friday, October 2, 2009

Engaging questioning during your engagement!!

Hello Katelin's freaders!! I'm Lacey Bean, from Perks of Being a JAP, and the lovely Katelin has asked me to guest blog while she's dancing up a storm at yet ANOTHER wedding. Seriously girl, how many friends do you and Matt have?? Anywho, she asked me to guest blog while she's in O-HI-O, and specifically, to chat about life before "I Do." So, with T-6 months until my wedding (HOLYCRAP) here I am!! I figured I wouldn't give tips about being engaged, because really, everyone's different, and who the hell am I to give tips? So instead, I'm going to let you know all of the repetitive questions that I've been asked whilst engaged. 10 bucks if you're engaged/already married, you've been asked them too!

Are you changing your last name when you get married? As much as I'm all for WOMEN POWER! RAH!! Yes, I am changing my last name. With this one thing I am very traditional. My mom kept her maiden name, and while I grew up with it, so I was used to it, it's kind of a pain explaining to people that her last name is different, she chose to keep it, etc. While I'll miss my last name, and am a little sad because I am the last one (there are no males left besides my dad to carry it on), I am excited to take Dave's (my future husband's) last name. Also, its MUCH easier to spell than mine! WIN!! And no, I won't hyphenate to keep my last name. Too much trouble.

Are you going to move into a house after the wedding? Like, the day after? No. Hopefully a few short years after? Yes. I love that people think we're automatically set to move out of our apartment and into a house just because we're becoming a married set. Do you think that once you get a marriage licence, they hand you keys to a new house too? Doesn't work like that, sorry!! So eventually, yes, we will be getting a house. But right now? No.

Are you going to be a Bridezilla? First of all, even if I was going to become a bridezilla, would I admit to it? :) And no, I am not a bridezilla. (And neither is Katelin, you Negative Nancys who called her one. Jerks.) I am probably too laid back as a bride-to-be, but I figure it comes with the territory when I plan events for a living!! Plus, my friends and parents and Dave would KILL ME if I became a bridezilla. Trust me, I would have no one left in my bridal party!!

Are you excited? No, I'm dreading it. Really? What kind of question is that??

When are you having kids? WHOA SIMMA DONNA!!! Can I get married first? Please? Plus I can barely take care of myself right now, let alone a small child. The fact that I can pay my own bills is still a source of amazement for me. Procreating will have to wait just a little bit.

OMG is everything different now? Different than what? And no. At least not for me. Yes, its exciting that we're getting married and I can't wait to be Dave's wife and OMG why isn't the wedding here now?!? But otherwise, we're the same people that we were before he proposed, and we'll continue to be the same people after we're married. I mean, we were already living together, so the only different thing is the ring on my finger. For some people I can see it being a huge change, but for us, it's just the natural progression of our life together.


What about you lovely people? Did you get the same questions over and over again when you were engaged? Any ones I didn't cover? :)

12 comments:

MH said...

hahaha - right on. I got all these question and more before my wedding (last March). The kids part especially. Some people actually thought we were getting married because I was pregnant. I'm 31, and we were already living together, so some people just assumed... too funny! We want kids soon, but not immediately, come on!! :-)
My answers were the same as yours. I already thought nothing would change then, and I can say nothing has. We're the same, happy as always, enjoying our lives. With a wedding band on our fingers, but that's it!

Sierra said...

He he, I bet it is fun going with the flower and answering the same questions over and over again. I guess people don't know what to say so they have to come up with some of these classic questions. :)

Shannon said...

Yep I've gotten the name changing question and baby making question. Guess it just comes with the territory. But I would prefer these questions than the questions I got when I was single i.e "why aren't you married yet?" Ugh.

Loredana said...

I think you pretty much got them all covered! I mean how annoying is it though...especially the 'kids' and 'house' question! UGGH!
My boyfriend and I lived together for a long time before we even got engaged so we constantly got the 'when are you getting engaged?' question which to me was like 'what do you care? We live together, we're fine with it, you don't have to be'.
Then you get engaged and it's the 'when are you getting married?' question.

Why can't people just be happy for you and let things happen when they should.

Andhari said...

Loveee your answers :) very entertaining :)

Anyhoo, believe me I'm happy you're not a bridezilla..it may offend some bloggers but to tell you the truth, I like that neither you or Katelin post about wedding things everyday. I'm not a hater, I do like reading everyone's progress with their venues and dresses but if what people post everyday is just marriage-related things, like centerpieces they want for 5 posts in a row for example..I'll be damn sure to delete their blogs off my google reader.

Erin said...

It drove me nuts when people asked me if I was excited. What the hell? If I wasn't excited, I probably wouldn't be getting married! I found that this question came more frequently the closer we got to the wedding date.

I changed my name too, and I took my maiden name as my middle name to honor my dad...and also because it's pretty. May makes a lovely middle name.

Maxie said...

I have already decided I want to change my name when I get married, but I love my name so much. I'm determined to find a guy that has an awesome last name so i'm happy for the change-- haha

amanda said...

thanks for the wedding website.

i love all sorts of wedding talk.

nicole antoinette said...

If I ever get engaged, I'll let you know the answers, haha.

Melissa said...

Haha, that must be frustrating. But they are such classic questions I don't think they'll ever end!

Allison M. said...

since i'm living with him, i always get "when are you getting married?"

Um. not any time soon.

Allie said...

We still get the basic questions/responses: 1. Let me see it! 2. When? 3. Where?