Thursday, June 21, 2007

100 Years....100 Movies.


So I like to consider myself somewhat of a movie-a-holic, for lack of a better description. Actually a better description would probably be movie addict or Hollywood know all or just all around pop culture junkie, all of the above aptly apply to me. However, most of my movie knowledge is only accurate for movies made in the late 1970s and onward, and AFI proved this to me last night. I was watching the AFI's 100 years, 100 movies special last night, and man, I have some serious catching up to do.

Granted for a long time I did have a list of older movies I wanted to see taped on the back of my door, so I could always see it and just cross them off as I saw them, yet I don't know where it is now. But after the special last night, all I could think of was how many movies I haven't seen! The only thing that made me feel better was that at least I knew of most of the movies and could say at least one person that was in it, a key phrase or some minuscule fact relating to it. So needless to say I am not at a total loss when it comes to old, classic movies, I know some stuff, I just haven't necessarily seen the movie.

So basically you can just assume that my summer will either be spent at a movie theater or catching up on movies I missed lately, or hanging at a video store looking for some of those "classics" I need to see, haha.
So for anyone that's curious, the AFI's top ten list went as follows (and I've only seen one):
1. Citizen Kane
2. The Godfather
3. Casablanca
4. Raging Bull
5. Singin' in the Rain
6.Gone With the Wind
7. Lawrence of Arabia
8. Schindler's List
9. Vertigo
10. The Wizard of Oz

and to check out the rest go to the AFI site: http://afi.aol.com/cgi-bin/afi-top10/top100.cgi

Okay, I'm off to finish up the work day and go start on that list of movies I need to see, happy movie watching Thursday everyone!

2 comments:

Kiki said...

i'm assuming the only one you've seen is wizard of oz?

if so, you need to watch these ASAP, in the following order:
1.Gone With the Wind-- I don't think we can be friends again until you've seen this. Twice.
2. Casablanca
3. The Godfather
5. Schindler's List.

I haven't seen Citizen Kane or Raging Bull, but I'll add them to my netflix... I think it's time.

Anonymous said...

You need help....you who is a 'movie buff....' i sure hope that boyfriend of yours is doing something to fix that haha