Friday, August 22, 2008

The Loves and No Loves of moving.

Tonight is the beginning of the rest of my life. Haha. Okay not so much. I just wanted to sound uber serious. But no really, Matt and I get to sign the lease and get the keys to our apartment Tonight! Tonight! As in hours from now. As in ohmyeffingeeee we're moving tomorrow!

And with that I was going to use today to write some uber sappy post about moving out of my parent's house and growing up and starting a new chapter in my life, but let's be honest, I'm not too sappy. Okay scratch that I cry at commercials for pete's sake, yes I am sappy. But do I write sappily? Not so much.

So instead I present you with my love/not to love lists of moving out.

My parent's house:
Love: Rent free, free food, free laundry, free car washes (thank you little brothers).
Not to love: Ummmnothing about free can be wrong.

Love: Little brothers to play board games with, watch cartoons with and keep me young.
Not to love: The same little devils that bug the ever living crap out of me.

Love: Coming home to dinner waiting for me.
Not to love: I get home so late my family never waits to eat with me.

Love: A big nice bathroom with a hot shower and a fantabulous medicine cabinet that fits all of my stuff.
Not to love: Sharing it with little brothers who constantly leave toothpaste on the sink or clothes on the floor, oy.

Love: Our ginormous television.
Not to love: The lameo DVD player that always skips on movies.

Love: Watching TV with the 'rents. (surprise, surprise, I watch TV, haha)
Not to love: Watching the Hills with my dad and explaining why I love the show.

Love: Asking my mom or sister for clothing advice.
Not to love: I mean what's not to love about that? Everyone needs a second opinion from other females.

Now obviously there are tons of things to love (and not love) about living at home with a big family, but those are just a few.
Now for my next adventure of not only moving out of my parent's house but moving in with a boy, here's what I think....

A la apartment with Matt:
What I'm going to Love: Living with Matt! I mean really I practically live with him now and now I won't have to schlep my stuff over to his parent's house every other night, woot.
What I probably won't Love as much: I don't know really. Maybe just the future squabble that will happen when I want to watch Greek and he'd rather shoot himself than watch such ridiculousness, haha.

What I'm going to Love: Grocery shopping!! Seriously it's wrong how excited I am to go grocery shopping again. I haven't food shopped for myself in two years and I can't wait to do it again. Wheat Chex and Bagel Bites here I come! :)
What I probably won't Love as much: Paying for said groceries. Damn. Why can't they just pay for themselves, sheesh.

What I'm going to Love: Decorating! Even if I seemed nervous about it I know that it will turn out wonderfully and together Matt and I will find our inner Martha's to create a masterpiece of awesomeness, haha.
What I probably won't Love as much: How much I'll second guess myself and how angry my wallet will be with me.

What I'm going to Love: Sharing a bathroom with one boy, a boy that is twenty four and not twelve or eleven.
What I probably won't Love as much: Matt leaving the seat up? Granted I don't even know if he does that now. And I really won't mind that much, I just have to put it down. Compromises people, compromises.

What I'm going to Love: Having all of our DVDs out on display! Yes people, it's the little things and my DVDs have been living in a box under my bed and I can't wait for them to shine in all their movie glory, woo.
What I probably won't Love as much
: Finding a place to put them all (we probably have 200 between us) without overdoing it.

What I'm going to Love: Meeting our neighbors! Don't ask me why, but having new neighbors just seems so cool. Hopefully they can handle us, haha.
What I probably won't Love as much:
If they're crabby people that don't smile or say "hi." That is just not acceptable (granted it would make for good blog material, I kid, I kid, haha).

What I'm going to Love: Having people over! Seriously I can't wait to have friends over again. It just never really happened as much while I was living at home. You can't really pre party at a house with twelve year olds present, haha. And hell just to have friends over to watch TV without the interruption of five other people, oh yes it will be awesome.
What I probably won't Love as much
: I don't know what I can't love about that!

Same as above I know there are probably so many things I am going to love and things I won't love when I move out, but these are just a few of the big ones that are on my mind.

What I'm trying to say here (without bringing on total sap) is thank you. Thank you family for not kicking me out when I got back from college two years ago and being totally awesome. And of course I love you. Love Love Love, basically lots of love. And as much as I whine and rant you truly are the most chaotic yet fantastic family ever.


and just think we're only five minutes away...so laundry next weekend? :)



I mean really how can you say no to these faces?? :)



happy weeekend all!

33 comments:

Lacey Bean said...

Trying to get a boy to leave the seat down is impossible. At least with Dave. :)

And I miss free laundry and free food. :( Those were the good old days haha.

B said...

I am SO STOKED for you. Seeriously!

Grits said...

You and Matt seem so happy so I'm sure all the little stuff that tends to annoy (sharing the remote, making sure the seat is down, etc.) will pale in comparison to all the fun you'll have! And how nice to have your family so close by. :-) Good luck with the move!

Ashley D said...

How exciting! I can't wait to see pics of the new place! You are posting pics, right??

Kyla Bea said...

Oh my gosh! Happy move! I hope it doesn’t rain for you guys and you have a wonderful day of boxes, take out, and kisses. Congrats!!

well-intentioned heartbreaker said...

ah! i'm so excited for you miss!! it'll be great, and it'll definitely be nice still being so close to home.

Renee said...

Having lived together for TWO WHOLE WEEKS now, I can tell you for sure that living with your boy is SO MUCH FUN. It's stressful at first, but once you're settled, it's a blast. I'm so excited for you guys! Pictures, please!

Rahul said...

A woman that doesn't mind the seat being left up?

You are a dying breed.

Larissa said...

I'm so excited for you and Matt. What a momentous change!

The compromise I've had to make is with my husband's habit for cluttering up the house.

sarah marie p said...

Aww...even though you didn't want to be sappy, this was still a really cute post! Can't wait to read about your adventures about moving in, decorating and your new neighbors! Congrats!!!

Bogart said...

Good luck...here is hoping that Matt does not leave his boxers on the bathroom floor.

Kayleigh said...

lol loved this! good luck moving!! YAYYYYY!! i expect a series of apt pics to be posted shortly :)

Libbi said...

Good luck with the move!
Hope it all goes well.
Libbi
x

Anonymous said...

Oh, how very, very exciting!!! Good luck this weekend, I hope it all goes well :)

And just watch, I'll bet Matt is TOTALLY addicted to Greek before the season is over.

Dolce said...

You're in good shape and shouldn't have any worries. Honestly, I don't think you'll miss a thing living with your family.

Complete freedom.

So@24 said...

Happy cohabiting!

Anonymous said...

moving out is so exciting!! and yes, grocery shopping probably IS one of the best parts :)

Another awesome thing about being on your own is that you can leave the fridge door open while you're deciding what you want and no one is there to tell you "close the door, you're letting all the cold air out!" ha-ha

amanda said...

How exciting that
all seems. I'd be
really pumped for meeting
the neighbors, too. Haha.

I think the move will
be great!

I'm jealous. I'm so ready
to move out and be a big
girl! Psh.

Have funnn! Goood luck!

L Sass said...

Well... I am a bit schmaltzy, so I will say: YAY, big grown up steps and transition from being a daughter to being a co-habber! ::wipes away a tear::

IT's gonna be fabulous.

Anonymous said...

that is soooo exciting!! the decorating! the guests! the independence!!! be sure to post pics when you're all settled!

Anonymous said...

sweetie!! I am about to solve all your moving in problems with two words ... and here they are:

"TWO T.V.'s"

done you're welcome no problem

and a big

congratulations!

molly said...

ooh the apartment sounds like tons of fun!
i cry in commercials too haha

Unknown said...

oh my gosh i'm so excited for you - congratulations! let the decorating begin - and please post about your decorating adventures!

thatShortchick said...

happy moving!! (wait, is that an oxymoron?)

this makes you officially an adult. there's no turning back now. j/k....i have a feeling that you're going to be having a grand ol' time.

Anonymous said...

so exciting! I hope the move went well :)

Anonymous said...

This is so exciting, I can't wait to hear all about it/see pics.

xox

Vanessa said...

I love meeting new neighbors when I move. I like to go introduce myself immediately and my dogs so if they ever see the dogs somewhere they shouldn't be or doing something they shouldn't, they can help correct the problem. Good luck and go to Trader Joe's for me!

Auburn Kat said...

Yeah, I don't think I could watch The Hills with my dad!

alexa @clevelandsaplum said...

yay for the rest of your life : )

i'm thinking it is going to be pretty fun to read about

Julie said...

When Tim and I moved into our own place I was all excited about it all also. And it really is awesome.

I hope that you two enjoy living together. I dated Tim for 4 years before we moved in together and I thought I knew everything about him... but uh nope. I learned so much more.

:)

Dana said...

I too loved that my mom would make dinner every night!! And I HATE paying for groceries now - it gets expensive!!

Princess Pointful said...

The only thing that is no fun about moving in with someone you love is figuring out chores and money!!

Anonymous said...

Obviously, I'm way excited for you! But, please promise me that if you find your inner Martha, you'll not become one with her. I can't stand the woman. That said, I highly recommend finding your inner gay men, because fabulosity will then commence! :)